Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Crackbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Day 29
2h done

Overall progress: 90,7 h/90h

I am glad that I got through my first goal. I must say its been quite a bit harder with school and my grades suffer from it, but I got through and thats all that matters. Yesterday and today I took it easy and had sort of a break between goals.

2nd GOAL: Have 124 hours done by the 31st of october.
This averages in 4h a day, we'll see how it goes.

I am done for now with the Vilppu/Loomis studies. Will revisit them in the future, but for now I'll focus on other stuff.

Finished the snake study. Learned quite a bit and in the end rendered from imagination on the upper part.
[attachment=34229]
Congrats on meeting the goal man. Awesome work, so cool to see you pushing yourself so hard. Good luck with the next one. You're gonna crush it :D
Day 1
4h done

Thanks Jake :D

Today I focused on using my knowledge on anatomy and 3d thinking. I have to get faster at this.

Practiced making scenes from head, was interesting.
[attachment=34322]

Took the basic shapes/idea from sleeping dogs, then worked from ground up, Im a bit slow working without refs. Had some trouble with sensing 3d on the screaming guy's face. Went and built up the anatomy and then added jeans.
[attachment=34323]
Day 2
4h done

So not only does using refs make things easier and a lot faster, it also gets me loose so I can do imagination sketches faster.
1.6h statue
[attachment=34383]
Sketches with ref's.
[attachment=34385]
Master wip
[attachment=34384]
Day 3
4h done

Got super tired after 2h. No energy drinks today, I want to get my sleep schedule back in track. Off to sleep.

Got an extra 2h done in school today, drew in 3 classes. Wont count this towards the goal though. Used no refs with these.
Character based on triangle comp
[attachment=34431]
Failed at the face there.
[attachment=34432]
More stuff
[attachment=34433]

Did this while listening to a livestream by sickbrush.
[attachment=34434]
Wip study, finding the magic of hard edges, in my master study yesterday I saw the benefits of it too.
[attachment=34437]
And some crap.
[attachment=34436]
[attachment=34435]
You pump out a lot of work, man. That's great dedication. What I'd suggest doing is to really hit perspective studies a lot harder to help with adding solidity and construction to your drawings. Keep it up!
Nice work Cracked! And congrats on achieving what you set yourself! Doesn't that feel so good? :D
Can't wait to see where this motorbike sketch is going ~

Hmmm, try and get your brushstrokes to follow the form of things :)
Keep it uuuup :D
Day 4
1h done

Thanks Freinik, mostly do persp in school now but it wont hurt doing more in home.

Feels fucking awesome smrr :)
Yeah that is sometimes quite hard to do, but ill manage.

So today was teacher's day and ofc I went with teaching art. Turns out teaching perspective, 3d forms and composition to symbol drawing middle and high schoolers is pretty hard+ Im not so good on teaching.
After that I went to a spa with family and a friend. In there I went to a sauna about 3 times, and did tons of swimming.

Needless to say I arrived home pretty late and was tired.

Then on top of everything else Ps starts crashing. So I got frustrated and just called it.

Lost time with the ps crash so didnt get very far
[attachment=34501]
Char sketches(yep crashed here too, lost a char.)
[attachment=34500]

Hope Ps doesnt throw tons of bullshit at me tomorrow.
Day 5
7h done

Basically made up for yesterday, wasnt tired so I got a lot more done then I would have yesterday.

4h on this.
[attachment=34617]
Actually started with this today, but Ps crashed 2 times so I messed around with the settings, which helped and went on to the next piece. When I came back I got bored doing this so I rushed like hell.
[attachment=34616]
45min sketch
[attachment=34615]
Day 6
4h

Started a concept, kind of stuck on it.
[attachment=34698]

Study and doodles
[attachment=34699][attachment=34700][attachment=34701]
Day 7
4h

Got my creative juices flowing today, total focus and patience was achieved.

Gotten quite far but there is still a lot more to be done, got to detail the castle which will take a while, then detail rocks and grass and after that do some cloud studies and finish the sky.
[attachment=34744]
Day 8
2h done

Tried to rush it, but got tired. Also stumbled upon some new problems, should've planned the characters/objects before.
[attachment=34786]
Hey Crackedskull, so a few things I'm noticing in your work: your colors tend to be a bit isolated, by which I mean objects and surfaces aren't indicating much about their surroundings. As far as color and light go, nothing exists in isolation. An object near a blue surface should show some of that (depending on the object's material though) but even if the object is very matte and doesn't reflect light, putting in hints of surrounding color will help make it feel like it belongs in the composition. For further reading, get yourself a copy of "Color and Light" as soon as you can, I promise it helps!
Also, your edges look a bit fuzzy and scribbled in parts where I know you meant to indicate a hard surface. What can help for that but will feel weird as hell to do is paint solely with a brush at 100% opacity and flow. Not fun to do at all, but man does it make you be more economic with your brush strokes, and you then have to pay far more attention to the value of a color to indicate form change, as opposed to relying on brush opacity. Try a few photo studies like that and see if it can work for you. And for better line control in your sketches, I'd look at Peter Han's Dynamic Sketching videos on YouTube. Doing a page of those exercises a day for just two weeks will create noticeable improvement. Anyway, I hope this reply wasn't too long, it's just that your stuff reminds me a lot of problems I had to face so I'm hoping I can help you with them!
Day 9
4h done

Thanks Pablo, that is quite useful advice.

Finished it, kinda dissapoint, but its no problem.
[attachment=34861]

Quickies
[attachment=34862][attachment=34863]

ps crashed 5 times :D
[attachment=34864]
Day 10
4h done

Helm study 1h in
[attachment=34902]

CHOW entry wip
[attachment=34901]

quicksketch
[attachment=34903]

Went from mountains to sky fortress to ship and a tsunami. Gotta say, should have settled for the sky fortress it had a solid thumbnail.
[attachment=34914]
Looking good man. Jsut a thought about your environments... You seem to have your horizon pretty high up on a lot of them. Have you though about dropping it down, drawing the landscape from the eye level of a person, or lower? Both work, but might be worth a shot? Sometimes it can look a little more dramatic with a lower POV, that's all :)..

Anyway, keep it up dude, loving the hard work :)
Day 11
4h done

Thanks Jake, read your comment and tried it out, it was quite refreshing and fun.

[attachment=34989]
That helmet is gonna take a while.
[attachment=34990]
Still life
[attachment=34991]
Finished my Ahab.
[attachment=34992]
cool studies, keep em coming :)
Day 12
1h done

Thanks Matija

Some more finished works from school this week.
[attachment=35032]

Progress on armor
[attachment=35033]
Day 13
1h done

Some progress on helmet and 2 color studies.
[attachment=35108][attachment=35106][attachment=35107]