Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Pnate's Almost Daily Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, happy new year. Nice sketches, love the new spitpaint <3
I'll have to eventually start watching that show. Conversely, i see a lot of great work recently, especially that spitpainting
Oh man that last spitpaint...awwww yeah! And the character stuff is crazy good as always. Happy new year, keep inspiring me through 2014!
Blue lipstick speedie is awesome, really cool idea and narrative!

Your characters still amaze me dude, kinda reminding me abit of Jason chan's stuff lately, which is never a bad thing!

All the best for 2014 dude, can't wait to see what you come up with!
Happy 2014 to everyone! This is going to be an exciting year for all of us, I can feel it.

rama- thanks man. Love your recent stuff!

Ben - Thanks ben, check it out if you get the chance. Most of the lighting setups in the show are your average 3 point lighting schemes, but because the style of the show is like retro scifi they use all kinds of crazy colored lights I've never seen in other screencaps (purple, blue, green, you name it)

Thanks Tonari! Hope to see more work from you in the new year as well!

Warburton - Thanks as always dude. And I appreciate the compliment! Although I have so far to go to reach Chan level. Let's get awesome in 2014!

Thanks to all of you guys who just commented. You all have seriously improved like crazy, and I get all kinds of levels of inspired each time I check out your work.

lady of the thorns
[Image: TMLVmoL.jpg]
dead eyes
[Image: ScUs6YE.jpg]
Another WIP shot of this guy. I feel like it's sucking, so I'm open to feedback! I would be eternally grateful
[Image: KhZz4K3.jpg]
Man, the way you handle light is juicy. The studies + notes are good too! great for revisiting and applying from the head.

As far as feedback for the spear-woman I've got to say I'm liking the progress.

The Comp is probably my favorite aspect, as the weapons juxtapose one another interestingly, as does her hair. I might eliminate the smaller part of the red ribbon tied to her spear, as it's obscuring the midground gentleman oddly.

To push it:

•expand the canvas to the right, let's see the full spear head.

•her ear can be sized up a bit (and aligned with her eyebrow)

• Work on the mid-ground man more in terms of his anatomy and silhouette-- She's looking at him, so we do to.

Other than that the BG shapes are working nicely and it just needs some more time to really get things feeling finished.

Major progress in 2013 man! Something tells me it won't have NOTHIN' 2014 for you though.
ugh, just looking at the fly on the eye creeps me out >_<

the spear lady painting is really nice, love her armour design (as impractical as it might be :P). As for some feedback: I agree with sizing the ear up a little bit, also maybe make it a little bit less red (more subtle color transition to her jaw color)? The midground feels a bit empty... depending on what the image is supposed to be used for I guess. For an illustration viewed at this size or bigger, maybe you could add some smaller elements (stones, dirt, ...) in the bottom third of the image. Or some kind of vignette, shifting the focus away from the empty parts in the edges of the image. And it's not sucking, I can't stop looking at her beautiful and confident face & beautiful armour!
Hey man, I've been waiting for you to post another wip of something you've been putting time into, haha. Great to see that. :D

I agree with Einver, expanding the comp will add a lot, especially since it's sort of in square format right now. The lady is looking really nice. Definitely put some more polish on the knight, I'd move him to the right a bit more so his head is between the to pillars. Part of the conjoined pillar is going through part of his head at the moment. One more thing, it might just be me but the knights left arm is looking a little long, moving the elbow guard up would probably fix that.

Can't wait to see it finished. Good stuff.
Thanks for the input Einver, Lyraina and Archreux! I really really appreciate it. You guys were spot on with the composition as a whole, and crits on that distant figure. I expanded the canvas to have it feel less cramped and pulled a Sargent by totally erasing that soldier dude because I just couldn't get him to work. Going to have to rework that character, think about the midground more and work on those pillars better. Next post of that one will hopefully be its finish!

defying gravity
[Image: JpfeE80.jpg]
secret symbol
[Image: CaoRTkW.jpg]
Happy 2014 to you too! Looking like a great start to the year!
thanks kidult!

some drawlings
[Image: wkRzXnG.jpg]
[Image: iKPWbNi.jpg]
[Image: unJ2qrL.jpg]
The spitpaints have such beautiful colors <3
And those portraits are lovely. I like the first one of the four, despite being only roughly painted, she somehow has really adorable lips.. don't know why but that was the first thing I thought :p
Thanks Lyraina! :)

embryo
[Image: Ax81MlK.jpg]
[Image: ZJnm36U.jpg]
Pretty inspiring sketches Pnate if I say so myself! For your WIP I don't think it's all that bad, you have some very clear shapes and some nice diagonals in the comp. Nice depth too everything is pretty clear where it is in space. After looking at it I do feel the lady an the dude don't feel like they are standing on the same ground. I think you could get away with it though I think changing it would hurt comp.

-Alex
Thanks Alex! Yeah i agree, the perspective was a little off. I've changed a lot so I'll post up the next update soon and maybe get some more feedback :) Appreciate it man!

Schoolgirl with astronaut helmet
[Image: q4n8Y7Y.jpg]
study and application a few hours later from memory
[Image: cXv8AFv.jpg]
[Image: ot5dpRu.jpg]
robot lady
[Image: R7BY2eC.jpg]
Damn pnate, looking awesome! Loving the spitpaints, lady of the thorns is badass.
yer I liked the lady of thorns immediately. Might be my taste in women :D But I think the piece works very well.
Thanks Jonesoda and MW-Art! Glad you like her :)

entrance to the dark castle
[Image: u2GbOO7.jpg]
grumpy old man
[Image: DVt5r40.jpg]
a thousand teeth
[Image: Q1m1L73.jpg]
Progress on this poop. Needs some more work, but better than the previous version I think. Open to crits as always!
[Image: N7PbuEB.jpg]