Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Pnate's Almost Daily Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
smokers bar
[Image: OqfVEYU.jpg]
alien cathedral
[Image: d4sZgHO.jpg]
wooden knight
[Image: eN1FTCa.jpg]
sketchy
[Image: BSkI6ko.jpg]
wow, I adore the wooden knight, the composition is so eye-catching, and he looks like a very cool character :) I like the armor in the second one too
Repeating the study from mind a couple of hours later is a good idea...

Still love the warrior lady piece ... don't call it poop please >.> I like the falling leaves, they add just the right amount of "noise" to feel the void areas. I feel really bad for picking on the painting again, because I really like it ... but it now feels a bit crowded on the upper left area, with the tree and leaves around her head. I think moving the tree up/away, or her down, just a little bit, might help with that. (Or maybe pushing the values back a bit, I'm not sure). So that there is just a bit more room for her to focus on without getting distracted.
Background lady is very pretty and I like her expression <3

Your spitpaints are really cool and imaginative as always :)
thanks marla! :)

Lyraina - Thanks for the crit! I always love gettin some critical feedback so I truly appreciate it, it's definitely not picking on it because I thrive on it :) I see what you mean about the tree! That thing was giving me a headache from adjusting it a billion times. Composition is definitely something I'll have to nail better earlier on instead of noodling with it later.

[Image: 9tsuDxs.jpg]
[Image: zEOSfju.jpg]
in regards to the piece you are working on (two girls with spears), I think it would help if you were clearer with the story. I'm having a little difficulty understanding what the story is. what is the story of the piece?

it also seems like the tree could be a little lighter in values overall so that it competes less with the foreground figure and recedes a bit more. just some thoughts

your sketches and speedpaints are great! the smoker's bar i feel could of had even more haze and smoke with more people suggested in the background!
the cool temperature temple below it is great!
Hey thanks Jarrad! Yeah, the story is kind of nonexistent here. That's something that I need to consider more, as it's a habit of mine just to start painting without putting too much thought into the overall concept. Thanks for the critique!

ice hedgehog
[Image: ZSQP8fc.jpg]
armored boar
[Image: 6wetjsi.jpg]
red mist
[Image: krWXGI7.jpg]
couple dancing
[Image: u9E9dy4.jpg]
studies and application
[Image: 5LBSSP1.jpg]
[Image: FAApQBW.jpg]
some character thumbs
[Image: 3nw2csP.jpg]
Ah it was to damn long since my last visit. You did so much work, soooo much quality work that i don't even know where to start xD Let me just say that your sketchbook is inspiring and I hope you'll never stop posting and improving. Cheers!
Thanks man! Your work gets better every time I visit your sketchbook as well :) Woop woop;

green suit
[Image: ujZaGWj.jpg]
castle on fire
[Image: tAIWJiO.jpg]
[Image: nQVxADl.jpg]
golden tears
[Image: XQUc2y2.jpg]
undiscovered cave
[Image: pRy3TLz.jpg]
WIP character
[Image: URBZNln.jpg]
elf maiden/spider demon
[Image: SiKRgoO.jpg]
another WIP, next one will be finish
[Image: ri4eed8.jpg]
argh nearly done
[Image: uQImCv3.jpg]
new character WIP
[Image: jOj9fqK.jpg]
study
[Image: eSuOu3J.jpg]

I signed up for a few classes on Skillshare.com. Sharing the links for the ones I signed up for (Mike Butkus Character Design, Denis Zilber Character Design, and Matt Laskowski on Perspective Drawing) because me and a new member will both get a $10 discount woop woop!

I have no idea if the site format is going to be any good, but the courses are super cheap so that's why I went for it haha. I'll do a little review or something when the classes start and let the curious know how it is.

Mike Butkus Character design:
http://skl.sh/1eVyYS5
Denis Zilber Character Design:
http://skl.sh/1b8JLHN
Matt Laskowski Perspective Drawing:
http://skl.sh/1cHldSd
Man, I'm sooo jealous of your figure work! D: Love the knight girl (as always).
Random question, do you livestream sometimes? I'd love to spy on you while you're working one day. :p

Does this discount thing also work when I buy a class later (as I see the classes will be available on demand even if they are over?)? The Perspective Course looks interesting, but starts right when I'm going to move, so that's unfortunate timing...
That female character is looking sweet!
God damn, man. That character is rockin'! I really love her face and just about everything, yeah, it's pretty damn great, haha. And as usual your females are looking pretty.

Also, don't call that female warrior piece "poop". The fixes you made are a vast improvement. Take some time and work on some other things if you're feeling burnt out on it, no rush. I too need to start planning more. More story, more concept, more everything, haha.

Can't wait to see all these things reach a finishing point! :DD
Thanks as always Lyraina! I've thought about doing some kind of livestream, but I get shy about that sorta thing haha. I may try it sometime later! I think the discount will still get applied if it's after the "start" date, since, according to them, the videos are on demand for "forever" so you don't have to worry about missing out on anything. Also, Matt Laskowski mentioned on the class feed he might not be done with the lessons until the 31st, so you probably don't have to worry anyways :)

Thanks much VegardS!

Archreeeuuuxxx, thanks man. I'm just being hard on myself :) Definitely trying to do more thoughtful work these days, however, rather than lots of work. You keep being a badass as well!

I realized with spitpaints that the more you worry/look at the time limit, the worse the piece comes out. Doing these is a good way to try and break those nervous habits methinks

The crow
[Image: hTqKYGu.jpg]
upside down face guy in marshlands
[Image: KtLI3r1.jpg]
into the marshlands
[Image: GruByXY.jpg]
character thumbs
[Image: gcaQFVJ.jpg]
I remember days when I was able to keep up with your updates. It was when I had a time to visit forum like twice a day =D. You're killing it man. Keep it up!
Haha thanks man! Gotta keep them updates rollinnnnn

king toad
[Image: tHpFPNa.jpg]
gonna move on from this one
[Image: bAY2TrS.jpg]
WIP sketch maybe
[Image: VwW9KZm.jpg]
Your sketches are really awesome! Lots of cool ideas and I really like your rendering!
The only crit I could give is that your feet tend to look a bit too small. But that´s just my two cents :)
Keep up the great work!
My sensors detect serious practice-oholism.. (yep, that's a word now)
Awesome, man!